What is Tumblr
Tumblr is a microblogging site that is in some ways similar to Twitter. Tumblr requires users to create a free account. From there, they can then submit short posts to their "tumblelog." Each user's tumblelog is highly customizable and intuitively designed for easy use. The site is not as large as its main competitor, Twitter, but it has received overwhelmingly positive reviews from its users. 1According to Alexa.com, Tumblr is the 65th-most visited site in the U.S. 2
Tumblr makes it easy to use a variety of posting methods. These options are text, photo, quote, link, chat, audio, and video. A variety of apps for Tumblr are available, and many of them allow you to use Tumblr from your iPhone, BlackBerry, or other mobile device. 3 4 You can also set your account so that all of your Tumblr posts are automatically posted to Twitter.
Concerns for Parents
- As with any social network, Tumblr allows its users to come in contact with strangers online. This puts kids at risk for meeting online predators.
- Tumblr users should also be careful not to overshare by posting overly personal information. Tumblr makes it easy to post things in a variety of mediums, so it can be easy to thoughtlessly post things that ought to be kept private.
- Tumblr does not filter any content posted by its users and therefore children have access to pornographic images and other explicit material that may be posted by other users.
- Tumblr only requires an email address to join. No age verification is required even though the site contains inappropriate content for minors.
How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- Tumblr allows you to make your tumbleblog private. Be sure that your child has these privacy settings in place.
- Tumblr features a Safe Mode that prevents explicit content from appearing on your dashboard. Note that a blog must be marked as containing adult content before its posts will be hidden. Unmarked content will not be detected. To enable, browse to your Dashboard Settings page and make sure the "Browse tag pages in Safe Mode" option is enabled. See here for more information.
- Talk to your child about what is appropriate to share online and what is not. Help them avoid oversharing. Your child's full name, address, phone number, email address, or school should never appear on any kind of public profile page.
Where Can I Learn More?
Here's a short description of Tumblr.
A New York Times article about Tumblr.
One of the most popular Tumblr accounts is Twin Mama Rama, the blog associated with the popular viral video Talking Twin Babies.