What is Xanga?
Xanga is a social blogging site, similar to Blogger. It lets bloggers write, as well as post pictures, audio, or video.1 Xanga is considered a "social" blogging site because many of its features are similar to social networking features (it lets you join communities and create friends lists). 2
Xanga offers the following safety features: 3
- Ratings and Safebrowse: This allows users to rate content. Users may also choose to only see certain content ratings.
- Xanga Footprints: This feature allows users to see the user names of people viewing their sites. If the person visiting is not a member, it will show their country or state instead.
- Xanga Locks: This feature sets restrictions on who can visit a user's Xanga site. There are three lock options. You can choose to let only signed in members see your account. The second option is to only let those that display footprints see your account. The third option only lets your friends see your account.
- Protected Posting: This feature allows you to only let selected members see your posts.
- User Blocking: This feature allows you to block certain people from commenting or subscribing to your Xanga site.
- Report Inappropriate Content
Concerns for Parents
- Most of the time a blog is available for everyone to see; you can't always control who is viewing your site.
- Often times children may be a little too open about the information they are writing online; they could be oversharing.